Hey, girlll! Seriously I can’t tell you how many questions I have gotten about blogging from you guys. I have gotten questions on my Q&A, comments on my post, and even emails from your guys asking for advice which always makes my day. So as promise, I’ve decided to start a new series where I go through step by step the process of how I started my blog and how you can start your very own blog!
Psst…. HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT! Have you heard the latest news? On October 20th, I am launching my very own, ONLINE STORE! It is called Maddison + Co and feauture downloadble trendy wall art prints, cute coffee mugs, throw pillows, and so much more! And I want YOU to be a part of it, so I’m hosting a LAUNCH TOUR! Check out the announcement posts for details, the sign-up list, and buttons!
But hurry, the launch tour sign-ups will be closed soon!
If you have any questions about blogging, make sure to comment them below! It’s super helpful to know your blogging questions so I can answer them and make a post about it!
The Platforms I’ve Used:
When I first started my blog, I used Wix. I chose Wix becuase there was no cost to start up a blog, I could decide exactly how I wanted my website to look, and it was really user friendly. Eventually, I found out more about WordPress and becuase I really wanted to grow my blog, I switched over.
What Is The Best Platform For Blogging?
There are seriously so many different platforms for bloggers out there, but I think what really narrows it done is what you are hoping will come out of your blog and the direction you want your blog to go. Here are few…
Since I only have experience with Wix and WordPress, I am going to compare them for you so you can see the pros and cons of each to help you choose!
I have been using WordPress for about at least 6 months now and I have definitely been happy with it so far.
- It isn’t super user friendly, and does take some time to get used to.
- Customizing your site exactly how you want it can take a while.
- There isn’t a huge range of free themes
- For wordpress.org you have to purchase your own domain and hosting.
- Community of other WordPress blogs
- Built in comments
- Thousands of free plugins to help improve your site
- Can integrate with many programs such as Mailchimp (email newsletters)
- Doesn’t cost anything to sign up
I used wix for about 5-6 months (I can’t totally remember exactly how long)
- In the free version of Wix you have to have a strucutre URL (http://yourwebsite.wix.com/yourwebsite)
- There is not a built-in comments sections, you have to download an app, however the many plugins I tried weren’t aesthically pleasing.
- You aren’t able to integrate with Mailchimp
- Wix ads are placed on your site until you upgrade to the 10$ per month plan.
- Easy drag and drop themes (you can customize it to the T how you would like it)
- Built in email list, however it has limitations when creating emails.
- Tons of free templates to suit all kinds of blogs.
- Free hosting through Wix
- Free domain for a year with the 10$ per month plan.
Which Platform is Best?
In my opinion, they are both good for different reasons, and how you choose should depend what you are looking for.
Are you looking to blog just for fun? I would choose Wix. It’s free to start, you don’t have to pay money if you don’t want to and just keep the standard URL. You can customize the site however you want, have fun with it and play around.
Are you looking to become a serious blogger and eventually monetize your blog? I would choose WordPress. You may have to put a little dough in at the beginning (domain, hosting, theme), but it will pay off in the long run. It has a lot more feautures, and integrates amazing with Google Adsense (if you are looking at potentially making money from your blog)
So that’s it! I really hope this helped you choose which platoform you are going to use for your blog! And remember you definitely don’t have to chose Wix or WordPress, there are so many others out there, but I encourage you to do your research and find out what will work best for your dreams and goals!
So what do you think? If you have a blog and you want me to check it out, comment your URL below! Also, if you have any blogging questions, leave those below so I can answer your questions and write a post about it!
Till next time,